Skip to main content

Tips to Get Free Advertising for a Small Business

 Rebecca Black, the etiquette expert of Northern California
Network & Become THE Expert

Running a small business can be a challenge in any kind of market.  This is especially true today with so many potential customers looking for the next big thing: the newest flavor of the month.  Consequently, it is particularly important to stand out above competitors. With my 20+ years as a small business owner, I've learned how to do this on an extremely small advertising budget.   Follow along for my favorite tips.  

 

Establish Yourself as the Expert and Interview Frequently.

My face is on your television, in print media, and on podcasts.  My voice is on your radio.  Why?  It's because the need for content is great. Quite often local networks require an expert in my field, so they typically call me for interviews.  The same is true for all other content-driven media outlets, like newspapers and magazines. 

As an etiquette expert, I frequently interview during the holidays due to gift-giving, tipping, and business party questions.  However, these segments are a mere three-minute snapshot, so I maximize my exposure and free advertising by contacting the local networks and pitching story ideas as well.  

Volunteer for Events

Rebecca Black as a beauty pageant judge

Volunteering has always been a part of my life.  However, I never realized that it could actually benefit my business.  That is until I began judging beauty pageants.  When I first received a request to judge I had images of "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Toddlers in Tiaras" dancing in my head.  I nearly politely refused until I did a bit of research and found the organization to be a good fit for my business--no little ones in makeup.  During the pageant, my business name was announced repeatedly to thousands of potential customers, resulting in many paying clients.

Get Out of the Office and Network!

My brand of networking is a mixture of face-to-face and social media.  Three times a week, a group of local business owners and I meet for coffee in a busy public place.  As regulars, we've all met most everyone frequenting the establishment, which means that they all know who we are and what we do.  Attending most events in town also increases my exposure.  Thus, more free advertising.

To maximize my social-media exposure, I have at least one page on most major platforms, including LinkedIn.   I devote one hour minimum each day to social media posting.            

All three techniques have resulted in paying clients and all were free or at minimal cost due to traveling expenses.  However, the absolute best free advertising comes from my previous clients.  I strive to provide a high-quality, unique product for my clients.  Happy clients tend to result in referrals.  Referrals equal free advertising. 

More by Rebecca

Good Manners Matter For Realtors

Small Home-Based Business Advice: My spouse is retiring. What happens now?

Business Travel Tips

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Holiday Gift Giving in the Workplace Appropriate?

  Ensure that gift-giving is allowed in your workplace and if there is a dollar limit.  Then consider the appropriateness of the gift.  There may be religious, or gender issues attached to some gifts, such as perfume or jewelry for women and religious icons or pork products for some religions.  Gift for The Boss Simple gifts to the boss, so as not to appear like an apple polisher.  Homemade treats Anything for the desk: calendars, stationery, pens, letter openers, picture frame... Book Box of candy Associates to Each Other Gift giving is not equal, because we give gifts according to our relationship with the person. Not Close: Small items for the desk: ‘to-do’ lists tablets, coffee mugs, treats... Filled coffee mugs: candy, teas, coffee... A book Cute holiday -themed items: Santa bobblehead, etc. $5 Gift certificate: coffee shop? Those Who are Close: Consider the person’s preferences. Anything for the desk: calendars, stationery, pens, and letter op

Is a bottle of liquor a good holiday gift for a boss?

  Dear Rebecca , Is a bottle of liquor a good holiday gift for a boss? Sincerely, Liquor in the workplace. Dear Liquor in the Workplace, Most places of business frown on alcohol.  Your gift may be viewed in negatively. Plus, it could appear as apple polishing.  If you are remarkably close to your boss, you could give him/her something a bit less questionable, like homemade cookies . Sincerely, Rebecca More by Rebecca How to Dress for Business Cruise? When is it Appropriate to Give Gifts to Supervisors Should I bring a hostess gift?

Career Fair Etiquette Tips

  How to Get Your Next Job It seems that Career Fair Season is upon us again.  Truly, depending on your specific career choice, recruiters may be looking for you all year.  As an etiquette consultant who routinely prepares job candidates, I’m often interviewed by local news media about this topic—which was the case recently. (video above) I always stress the importance of following a few simple rules.  So, if searching for a job or internship at the next career fair , please read on.  Take it Seriously and Do Your Homework! This just may be a formal interview for a real job or internship so take the job/career fair seriously.  Know what companies will be there.  Find out what the companies are working on and what they are doing so you can ask pertinent questions.  If you want a certain type of job, know what that job entails.  Dress the Part! Employers want employees they believe will fit into their corporate culture.  Therefore, dress the part and look as if you already fit