Skip to main content

Celebrate Valentine’s Day Within a Budget

Valentine's Day Hearts

Valentine's Day Money Saving Ideas

Once upon a very long time ago, Valentine’s Day was all about romance.  Romance wasn’t expensive.  It was long warm glances across a room, sweet kisses stolen from smiling lips, and promises sealed with heart-shaped cards.  According to National Retail Federation, it appears that love is measured in dollars as Americans are expected to spend over 21 billion on more than just candy hearts.   And that’s during a pandemic!

As a small business owner who must watch every penny, I’ve found fantastic ways to spend this day of love and keep from draining my wallet.   Follow along as I share my tips with you.

Sentiments shouldn’t cost more than a car payment.

Like a typical woman, I like gifts.  And jewelry?  Those little boxes give me goosebumps.  However, as much as I love a nice piece of sparkly, I’d rather save those dollars.  I reconcile my girlish tendencies by shopping at thrifts.  It’s amazing how much I can find there for a few dollars.  In addition, every dollar I spend helps others. 

Alternatively, our local Cost Plus World Market typically sells earrings at a discount – my favorite – right before Valentine’s Day.  The man in my life can pick up a couple pairs and still have change from a twenty.  They even offer a cute little cloth bag as a unique wrapping—much cuter than a little box. 

Cook dinner for your loved one.

According to a finder.com study, this year’s valentines plan to spend on average $70 on dining out—down significantly from previous years.  Still, for that amount, I can have any type of dinner I want paired with my favorite wine and still have money left.  Moreover, it’s just more romantic when my hubby does the cooking for me.  He knows exactly how I like my steak.   

Total cost for steak dinner with a bottle of $15 wine for the both of us: $30.  A romantic evening at home = priceless.

Be creative with romantic symbols.

No doubt that roses are synonymous with love here in the states.  However, a dozen roses delivered can set a person back $50+.  This is when ingenuity comes to the rescue.  Since I’ve introduced my hubby to the nearby thrift store, he shops there first for items like vases.  He found a nice slender one for fifty cents.  Dollar store works too. 

Stopping off at a local grocery store, he picks up a single rose tied up with a pretty red ribbon for $2.  Keeping true to his thrifty, and yet thoughtful nature, we finished off his display of love with a $5 Starbucks gift card—mochas…yum.  Total savings: $42.50

Of course, I loved it!

Don’t forget the sweet romantic symbol.

A heart-shaped box of chocolate is another indelible symbol of love this time of year.  However, a box of the good stuff is typically about $20 or more.  Waiting until the day after Valentine’s Day, I can pick up that box for my sweetie at 70% off.  It all tastes the same, even if one day late.

Ditch the store-bought card.

I stopped purchasing cards years ago.  Instead, I create my own with desktop software I also use for my business. (previous year’s version: $15) The cards are lovely, personal, and are the price of the paper I use—usually less than a nickel.  That said, creating a digital card is simple these days. 

Be creative, save money and enjoy each other.

More by Rebecca

How I Cut My Food Bill in Half

How I Get My Budget Under Control

Three Top Gas Saving Tips


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow These Steps to Get the Job You Want

  Preparing for the Interview For over twenty years as an etiquette professional, I’ve trained countless job seekers.  Not much has changed in those decades, except our expanded use of technology.   Today, we can apply for a job using Social networking sites, such as LinkedIn.  We commonly use an email program to contact an organization’s HR department.  Additionally, we live on our cellphones.  Many times, we use these electronic appendages to reply to those HR departments and recruiters.  Some of those calls and emails could be the difference between a future job and a trip to the unemployment office.    Consequently, it would benefit all job seekers to follow a few of my suggestions.    Consider Your Use of a Cellphone Sure, texting is fast and convenient.  However, it’s not the best method to use for answering emails from a recruiter or anyone else who may be trying to assist you in your job hunt.  These replies should appear professional and well-thought-out.  Therefore,

Internships Can Lead You to Your Dream Job

  How to Get the Job You Want Let’s face it, even with the best education, the job market is a tough place to be.  It is incredibly tight and expectations of the newly hired are high. So, what is someone with little work experience to do?  As an etiquette consultant who trains job seekers, I always suggest internships for those who are still in high school and college.  Still, all can benefit from what a good internship can provide. What are the advantages and benefits of an internship? As your coworkers and supervisors evaluate you and your work habits, you are best able to evaluate how it would be to work in that business and for that particular company full time.   The internship also provides an opportunity to develop a work ethic and polish your people skills. Dealing with the scary people and learning new skills. More than likely, you will be learning new skills, as the work required may be a new experience for you.  The business may also have unique methods that yo

Is a bottle of liquor a good holiday gift for a boss?

  Dear Rebecca , Is a bottle of liquor a good holiday gift for a boss? Sincerely, Liquor in the workplace. Dear Liquor in the Workplace, Most places of business frown on alcohol.  Your gift may be viewed in negatively. Plus, it could appear as apple polishing.  If you are remarkably close to your boss, you could give him/her something a bit less questionable, like homemade cookies . Sincerely, Rebecca More by Rebecca How to Dress for Business Cruise? When is it Appropriate to Give Gifts to Supervisors Should I bring a hostess gift?